Monday, January 19, 2009

Shack Of Shame




Fucking hell. This new computer won't let me place pictures where I want them. So you'll have to deal with them bunched together for now. I finally got a picture of that small shack/barn thing that I keep talking about...oh! And my beautiful water trough!

Still no water heater, though I'm continuously promised that there will be one. I really don't care. Its not my water I'm wasting.

The pasture is actually larger than that, but I decided not to center on the other side of it since theres really nothing there. I'm so gosh darn proud of myself for helping to build that little wall on the run-in. The boys did all the work, really. But my opinion actually mattered in it's raising, so I'm happy. I'm kind of torn over the structure though. I'm not sure whether I truly like it or not. Its big enough for two horses to squeeze by eachother, but if one of them has a fit (and I've held my breath once or twice) they're either knocking into the support beam inside or bouncing off the wall. They don't have the entire width of the inside of that thing to move around in. Its split in two for feed storage.

It keeps out water for the most part, unless it lets it in. And when water gets in there, watch out. It doesn't drain. It's like muddy soup up to their knees after that. Really kind of gross. Luckily the only one who really has to stand in it is Dusty, who really doesn't give a damn. Thats where his feed bucket is, and he'll stand in fire as long as theres grain being shoveled into his mouth.

Taunie hates mud. I realized this a few weeks ago when everything was gooshy and gross. She'd leap over the indent in the pasture where the water drains through. Big old leap. And then she'll try and leap over the entrance mud to get into the shed. Again, I hold my breath and pray "Watch your head!" but she hasn't smashed anything yet. I can't help but think "Damn, she's gonna be a bitch on the trail" but watching her leap over those large patches of yucky mud, I also ponder what sort of jumper she'll make me one day. Liverpools here we come!

Unfortunately I haven't been in there much since my black eye. Call it caution. I dunno. I see the the mud they sink 3 inches into, or the frozen mud they scramble over, and I just can't help but pass off my next inside visit for a much better day where the ground isn't so challenging. My niece came over the other day and I led her into the shed during feeding time to pet Taunie while she ate. We have a good picture of that. I'll probably never get it because my older sister is lame. But if I do end up snatching it, I'll post it up. Taunie was an angel. She reached out of her grain bucket and craned her neck down at my niece in curiosity. My niece loves the horses. I can't wait to teach her some things.

Speaking of grain buckets...Taunie has become lead mare over night. One day she was waiting last to be fed, and the next day she downright mowed Shiloh over to be fed second. Nasty expressions were exhchanged but Shiloh backed down. Taunie has taken Shiloh's grain bucket, and Shiloh now needs to be fed from a pan on the ground. Haha. Taunie grew a pair.

No comments: