Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Green When The Ground Is White

Tonton has been doing well, despite being ridden maybe once or twice a month. She's fat and out in the pasture now, chillin' with her home-hosses and collecting dust...I mean snow.

A month or two ago I asked someone to take a video if us for a friend's curiosity and so this be it:



Not much to show, but she's made progress from just a couple weeks before that. She was in this habit of cowkicking at the trot almost every stride, or kicking out when I added my leg in response to her slowing down. She's trotting nicely and politely because she now knows theres something worse...the canter!

I've cantered her a few times on the trail and she did wonderful. At first she wasn't so sure, but once we got going...she found out just how much fun riding could be. She'd bound over ditches, leap across puddles, spook at the dogs...all the while her ears were up and I could just hear her yell "WOO!" I, of course, was just along for the ride. Who am I to get in the way of safe fun?

I go to the barn every Friday, if not then Saturday and since I'm training horses for board, I have very little time to work Taunie. I've made it a New Years resolution to get her show ready by summer though. Whether she goes to a show or not is another thing...but at least she'll be trained for one by then.

No comments: